Alex and Marla excavated on campus

Student Reflection – Alex Hagler ’16

Contributed by Alex Hagler ’16

I began working at the Peabody in sixth grade, under the brilliant supervision of Lindsay Randall. I was introduced to the behind-the-scenes workings of a museum, cataloging artifacts, organizing photos, preparing materials for classes, all the jobs of a high school work duty student. It amazed me, and still does, that, despite my young age, I was treated just about the same as any other work duty student. I was given the trust of the people I worked with at the museum, and that trust has remained to this day. Because of that, I have had wonderful, momentous occasions at the Peabody. I represented the Peabody at the 2014 Alumni Reunion Weekend, and I presented the findings of my own independent research project to the Massachusetts Archaeological Society, to name only two. I have enjoyed the constant support of the people with whom I have worked all these years, and so the Peabody has become like a second home to me.

Now, as a graduating senior, I look back on my years at the Peabody. I find that I am mostly content, with only some minor regrets, namely that I have yet to see the floppy disk I was promised way back in sixth grade. But beyond that, I find that I am overwhelmed, reflecting on how I have changed over my years working here. At the beginning, I was nervous, hesitantly exploring the Peabody for the very first time, just starting to explore my new found interest in history. At the end, I am confident, not only in that I have made smart and responsible choices during my time here, but also in that I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. And I have the Peabody to thank for that.

Interested to read more student reflections?  Visit here and here for more perspectives.

2 thoughts on “Student Reflection – Alex Hagler ’16

1. As a Junior High student in New York City back in the 1950s, I was very interested in Archaeology, especially ancient Egypt. NYC provided access to extraordinary exhibits of ancient Egyptian history in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Museum. I still remember seeing the bust of Nefertiti in the Brooklyn Museum; the colors so vivid, the beauty of this Queen. I had a chance to go to Egypt in 1997 on a tour that included the Cairo Museum, the pyramids, and a barge cruise down the Nile River to the Valley of the Kings where I was able to descend into 3 of the tombs! I learned some Arabic while I was there also. The opportunities afforded my granddaughter Alex while living and attending Phillips were extraordinary. On one of the family weekends, I found myself working with Alex on a dig on Phillips grounds. We were using a screen to look for items of interest, pieces of porcelain, brick, etc. I found myself picking bugs out of the screen and discarding them; I, who hated bugs was picking them up with my bare hands helping Alex out. What fun we had!.

Like

2. What a wonderful experience the Peabody has been – both for Alex and for the museum. Wishing both of you continuing success and exciting discoveries.

Like